Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Check The Manual

Being a coach has got to be one of the most rewarding professions anyone can have. As a coach myself I truly enjoy teaching young men the game that I have loved for so many years. I have been involved with basketball for more than 30 years in some capacity. Whether as a player, coach, referee, or announcer I try to stay around the game I love. Any coach will tell you that games are fun, but the best thing about coaching is the teaching that goes on in practice. Transferring the knowledge of the game to each player and watching them develop their skills as the year unfolds. To me this is what success is all about, not just winning games.

Unfortunately, this is not the case as the level of competion increases. More and more the emphasis is put on winning. The more games you win the more fans you put in the seats, and the more money you generate. Now, don't get me wrong, money is important to keep athletic programs running at the college level. Is it so important that coaches at this level need to find ways to take advantage of the rules, or worse, not report violations to the proper authorities so as not to lose? Case in point, Jim Tressel at Ohio State University.

I have always thought that Coach Tressel was one of the good guys in College Football. He has had much success everywhere he has been in his career. I have read his book "The Winners Manual" and as a young coach, thought it was very inspirational. The words in his book won't lose their meaning, however my perception of the man who wrote them has. Without getting caught up in all the information that has been provided by the press, the one thing that really bothers me is that he knew what went on and didn't do anything about it. Was this because he didn't know how or what to do. I don't think so. It appears to me and I am sure many others that the one loss Buckeyes couldn't afford to lose another game if they wanted to stay in the hunt for a National Championship.

Now, I am not going to go into how the suspensions should have been handled, that' for you to decide. What puzzles me is here is a respected coach who seems to have chosen winning over what is right. As coaches we need to be aware that we are an example to many young lives, no matter what the age of athlete we are coaching. The decision to not report the violations at hand,for whatever reason, set a poor example for his players, young coaches, and young players everywhere, not to mention a bad light on a respected program and University.

Winning is a great feeling, and being on top is what we all strive for, but contrary to the popular quote, "it is not the only thing". Respect for the game you love and the players you coach is what matters. I think Coach Tressel and other coaches like him should CHECK THE MANUAL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment