Thursday, April 28, 2011

Life Revolves Around Sports

Am I the only one whose life has seemed to revolve around sports? Athletic activities have been a big part of my life since I was a baby in my stroller at my dad's baseball and softball games. Many of my childhood memories involve, meals at the American Legion in Buckley, IL after a Dutchmaster's baseball game. Then we would pile in the car and go to some nearby town for a softball DH. We've lost many of those teammates in the last few years, including my dad, but the friendships and the memories will never go away.

As I got older and started playing myself, our schedule always revolved around what sport was being played at the time. Vacations were planned so as not to miss any games. This has carried over into my adult life as everything we do has to be planned around my kid's sports schedule. I'm sure this is the case for many of you, and my family is not special, but how many of you use sports to remember other events that have happened along the way?

Let me share some examples from my life with you. There are many of you that had your tonsils out when you were a kid. How many can easily remember what year it was. For me it is easy. The year was 1972. I know this because I am a Miami Dolphins fan and that is the year they were undefeated, and I got to watch them on TV while eating ice cream and healing. I remember that my Grandpa George died in 1980 because it was basketball season of my sophomore year. Also, two of the three most important days of my life, the third being my son's birth, were my wedding day and my daughter's birth,(our first). Both have a connection with sports. When my wife and I were planning our date to get married there was one stipulation. It had to be after SOFTBALL SEASON and before harvest. This only left August and September as possible months to be wed in. At least I have a 50/50 chance of getting it right when asked, by the way it is the 26th of August, I think. As far as when my daughter was born, that was the end of May. I know this because while my wife was in labor for 18 hours, I was watching the Indy 500 on the TV. I don't know if her favorite driver was doing poorly or what, but she sure was doing a lot of yelling. Particularly at me.

Are there any sporting events that help you recall other important dates in your life? Does your family schedule revolve around athletics? If so, leave a comment. I'm sure you all have some great ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment